Just this last spring Ben and I went to Colorado. As we were driving home we stopped at a restaurant to grab some lunch. I was debating on a salad verses breakfast of some sort. I stumbled upon a breakfast wrap. It was pretty chilly out so I thought maybe this wrap with eggs, potatoes, and bacon would hit the spot. When our order arrived I realized this wrap didn't stand up to my expectations. The eggs were fake, the potatoes were mashed (and fake), and it was gigantic. I was thoroughly discouraged because Ben and I have always taken an interest in health and this breakfast wrap was far from it.
As Ben and I sat in this little restaurant, Ben noticed a man walking past multiple times. He was clothed in a hooded sweatshirt and sweats. Ben mentioned he thought the man might be homeless. Ben's worked with homeless guys before so I knew his intuitions were probably right on. Ben thought we should give the guy our leftovers. I was more than happy to give up my meal. We hurried out of the restaurant to go find him and I began to worry. What if this guy wasn't homeless and we had totally judged him?! I began to pray that God would give us clarity. As I was praying, the man walked around the corner. He walked right up to us and asked us if we had any spare change!! I was praising God that He was so direct with us. Instead of giving him money we gave him our leftovers.
We got back in our car and headed for Des Moines. Ben and I discussed how thankful we were to be able to provide something for that man to eat. It was so cold out. We knew that he probably enjoyed my breakfast wrap the most. What homeless guy wouldn't love a mashed potato, egg, and bacon filled wrap- plus it was hot!!
I was reminded of when Jesus talks about whatever you do for the least of these, you do for me. We are convinced that the main reason my wrap came the way it did was to bless that man. Thank you Lord for your provision for him...even if it meant me eating something that I was unhappy with!
What a great story!!!
ReplyDeleteI met a homeless man yesterday at a gas station. What broke my heart the most was that he was the first words out of his mouth: "Hi. I'm not a robber." And then he showed me his drivers license to prove to me that he was a real person. I hate that our society has made the homeless feel like they are not human beings! Plus, doesn't Jesus say something about if we give a cup of cold water to the least of these it is as if we are giving it to Him?
ReplyDeleteHey Meredith! Cute blog!..and great story. Thanks for sharing. :)
ReplyDeleteHey thanks you guys! Hopefully there's more of that to come!
ReplyDelete