Psalm 127:1

"Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain."- Psalm 127:1

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Counting the Cost - Part One

Hello everyone!
This is my (Ben) first post here on our blog.  As many of you know, I recently had a great opportunity to join my church, Mountain View Community Church, on a trip to Pokhara, Nepal for three weeks.  The point of the trip for me was to meet the pastors and leaders of Binay Church and to get an understanding of their hearts for the Gospel and see what God is doing through them in Pokhara and throughout Nepal.  Since there is a possibility to join and help run a trekking business, that was started to help employ local youth leaders, I was also able to go on the most popular trek in Nepal to Annapurna Base Camp.  Most of the time was spent getting to know and building relationships with these pastors and leaders.  I was able to attend two church worship services at Binay Church.  It was, like all the times I've been involved with local worship services on trips to Nepal, China, and Tibet, awesome to see God's children worship Him with simplicity and humility.  I think there are too many distractions within the Western Church that keep us from really connecting with God.  But that's another post.

Machhapuchere Mt. Elevation: 22,943 ft. (6693m)

The two main teaching pastors are Hom(home) and Lekh(lake).  Hom is a national that grew up in a town called Gorkha.  Gorkha is where the main church is located that has planted 17-20 churches throughout Nepal, including Binay Church.  Hom is involved with an organization called Young Life.  He is the Young Life Director for Nepal.  He is a business, networking, youth minded, humble servant of the Lord.  His vision is to "saturate the youth of Pokhara with the Gospel" as well as the entire country of Nepal.  He mentioned that most youth and their families are not open to being invited to a church event, Bible study, or youth gathering.  But these families are open to Young Life club meetings that meet after school throughout the week.  There are 5 club meetings that meet all throughout Pokhara, with 125-150 youth coming regularly!  There are a number of youth leaders and youth that attend Binay Church.  The Young Life club meetings are seen as the youth ministry of Binay.  I asked Hom if he was interested in moving or expanding to other countries in the future and he said that his heart is for Nepal because of the work to be done with the few workers they have.  Praise God for his heart and commitment to Nepal!  My eyes were opened to youth ministry and the importance of its focus in Nepal!  Operation World states that Nepal's youth "comprise two-thirds of Nepal's population, which is one of the world's youngest and fastest growing." 37% of the population are under the age of 15!  Unfortunately, most of these youth are vulnerable to sex trafficking and lack opportunities for education.  Because of the 70% unemployment rate as well, many are forced to look for employment in India and the Middle East.  This is why businesses need to be started in Nepal, to create jobs for youth and people in general.

This is Hom and I on my last morning in Nepal.

Lekh is originally from India.  When he came to know the Lord, he was told to leave his village by not only the village but his own family.  But his mother said, "All this trouble for one boy proclaiming his faith in this God that heals.  I will join in following this God as well!"  So his mother and several other brothers proclaimed their faith in God and left the village.  I can't remember how he arrived in Nepal, but I have a lot of pride in calling this man my Brother in Christ!  He is a great story teller and is so passionate for Jesus!  He is financially supported by Mountain View.  His vision is to reach the youth with the Gospel and in turn reaching their families.  His main interest is for the local church in Nepal and for eventually church planting.  I really found myself connecting with Lekh and his heart.  My one prayer, well one of many prayers (you pray a lot when in Nepal), was that God would draw my heart to connect with one person.  Lekh is a humble, apostle Paul-like man of God.  Lekh does most of the teaching at Binay's Saturday services (day of worship is on Saturday in Nepal) as well as leading two new believer Bible studies.  His main prayer for several years has been to be freed up in order to plant churches.  But because of his responsibilities at Binay, he hasn't been able to.  When I told Lekh about our heart for Nepal, he told me that my family and I might just be an answer to his prayers. Please pray for these men and the other leaders at Binay Church.

This is Pastor Lekh on the left and Paul on the right.

Hom's younger brother, Paul, led our trek and works with Nepal Outdoor Adventures (trekking business) in addition to being a leader in Young Life.  I really connected with Paul as well on this trip. Don't ask me how they name children in Nepal; Hom, Paul, and another brother Bill.  I don't get it.  :) Anyway, during one of many conversations with Paul, I asked him about business opportunities.  I came on the trip with the idea of a guest house.  I've had this idea on my mind for the past 7 years since my trip to China/Tibet in 2005.  Another idea is a coffee shop, either included in the guest house or separate from.  I know, a coffee shop is a popular strategy/idea that many missionaries have, but there really isn't many ways to get good coffee in Nepal, unless you think instant coffee is awesome and is real!  Which if you think this, we need to talk!  Some of you may be thinking, "How easy is it to get coffee into Nepal?"  Or, "Do they grow coffee in Nepal?"  On the last day of my trek, I was walking and thinking a lot about what life will be like in Nepal, like most of my trip, and Paul, knowing that I'm interested in coffee, taps me on the shoulder and says, "Look Ben! Coffee trees!"  There in a small village that we were passing through sat around 25-30 coffee trees just looking at me saying, "Come pick Ben!"  Yes, the coffee trees actually spoke to me!  Well that might have been the altitude speaking or the lack of caffeine within my system! But it gave me a small amount of hope.  Once we returned to Pokhara, Paul and I spent a day on his motorcycle searching the city for coffee shops.  We found one promising business, that actually had an espresso machine sitting on their counter as well as other locally baked pastry items from a German bakery.  But Paul said that there is a university with what he said around 15,000 students.  He gave me an idea of a coffee shop near the campus to invite college students to.  He mentioned that no ministry in town is really reaching out to the college students.  He thought that it might be a great business to develop relationships and be able to practice English and share the Gospel!  Something to pray about!



Pictures of Binay Church in Pokhara, Nepal

So, those are the main leaders in the Binay Church. There's still so much to process about my trip, but that is why I'm calling this Counting the Cost- Part One! I hope this wasn't too long, but I felt it necessary to include these men so you could get to know them as well! :) 

As many of you already know, we sent out a fundraising letter asking many of you to join our team!! When the day comes that Mer and I take our family and step off the plane in Nepal, we truly believe those of you supporting us and praying for us are there stepping off that plane with us. You're our team!! We need your help! We have heard back from a handful of you and are so so blessed.  If you would like to be a part of what God is doing through us, please let us know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment